A Case Study on the responsive website redesign of power house local news leader WRAL.com and the exciting results from the project.
The Goal: While logging 3-4 million page views on an average day, super-successful, online power house WRAL.com still needed to evolve or die.
- News viewing habits for important younger demos had shifted since the site’s last update
- Mobile devices had become the top access mode
- First created in a supporting role to broadcasting, the online arm of WRAL-TV had become a strong, independent brand in its own right and needed to explore new revenue opportunities
The Challenge: Size and scope were formidable. Not only did we have to hire web vendors and agree on a major design changes, the real devil was in the details.
- More than 300, 000 pages, half a million pieces of content, including instantly changing headlines had to be integrated into a homegrown content management system that adapted to 6 different screen sizes and configurations.
- Breaking news and weather needed special looks and treatments
- Sports needed a separate identity, as did popular franchises like TechWire, GOASKMOM, and High School OT
- In addition, all fact-finding and decision making required buy-in from across the business, including news, sports, weather, sales departments, radio stations and popular online franchises
My Role: On-site strategy, project management and leadership from beginning to end over a one year period. We provided the cool head, confidence, and sure planning to see this major overhaul through on deadline, within budget, and without blow back from stakeholders.
- 78% increase in monthly video views
- Effectiveness of some ad units: increased by 371%
- Increase in download speed—desktop only 35%
- Increase in unique visitors – 31.9%
- Created 30% more advertising inventory
- Offered creative and innovative native advertising opportunities, more sponsorships and less display
Check out my recommendations from the WRAL crew.