Later 2013, Hello 2014!
What a fantastic year! I am truly thankful for all of 2013, but most importantly the lessons and people who have made me think, just a little differently.
Top 3 Lessons Learned from 2013:
- Trust is essential for building a solid brand. Just like I stated in my “blurred lines” post relationships are important to your customers, if there isn’t any substance there you’ll end up in a bidding war with your competitors. Certain neuroeconomic studies have shown that when someone trusts, their brain releases oxytocin. A chemical that has been linked to reducing social fears and increasing generosity. Give more, trust more in the new year and watch progress happen.
- Social selling is here to stay and so is the new buying process. In a world of “over-sharing” and lots of noise, quality beats out quantity, you have 2.5 seconds to make an impression, truly a blink of an eye. Use it wisely.
- This is the age of Innovation- here come the entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs. Entrepreneurs come in all shapes and sizes, from all corners of the globe and here at home. From dressmakers in Afghanistan to entrepreneurs participating in the SEED program acceleration in Brazil to small and large groups supporting the innovation journey like Up Global and startup summits everywhere, even Iowa. Excitement and growth abound right here in the Triangle, with the growth of Triangle Startup Weekend events and participants, healthy turnouts at the ExitEvent socials and even a startup living experiment called the Think House. Embrace and empower is the lesson I leave you.
Top 3 Changes for 2014:
- Let’s finally kill the cold call. I continue to tout that the cold call is dead! I will continue to share this wisdom to help make more businesses successful.
- Let’s continue to deliver. As a consultant the importance of saying what you mean and doing what you promised is the only mantra. Our work is who we are and is the ultimate business development strategy.
- Let’s network and learn smarter. I hope to help my local marketing community do just that as I take on the the role of President of the Triangle Interactive Marketing Association in the New Year. Come out and party and help create the best year of fun and focus at our New Year kick off party on Jan. 8 @ 6:30pm-until @ Natty Greens in Raleigh, NC. Pitches, prizes and fun await. We will be asking our existing and future members to tell us what THEY want from us. Check it out here.
It’s time to ring in the New Year!
Cheers to a fun and successful 2014.
Thank you all again for riding shotgun on this journey and helping me and my team be successful.